OEDA’s Tax Increment Financing (TIF) Committee (formerly the Urban Renewal Committee) has now published the 2019 Tax Increment Financing in Oregon Best Practices Manual.
VIEW OR DOWNLOAD: 2019 Tax Increment Financing in Oregon Best Practices Manual Public Edition
The committee took on the project this year of updating and republishing the Manual, last published in 2014. The new version contains a number of meaningful additions and changes:
- Nomenclature change from “urban renewal” to “tax increment financing” or “TIF”, explain in the manual
- New advisory letters from the TIF Committee Chair and the Special Districts of Oregon (SDAO)
- Analysis of HB 2174 statutory changes & comprehensives updates to statutory references
- New essay on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in TIF programs
- New Appendix on Public Outreach
- Heavily Revised Chapter on TIF Plan Amendments
- BONUS Sample Documents section ***Members Only***
- BONUS Case Study section with 25 new case studies from across Oregon ***Members Only***
The TIF Committee utilized a summer graduate intern, Matthew Perreault, from Oregon State University’s Graduate School of Public Policy to provide coordination and information, information assembly and review of the manual.
Thanks to TIF Committee Leadership:
Kate Porsche, OEDA President & TIF Committee Chair
Economic Development Manager, Corvallis Benton County Economic Development Office
Rebecca Ziegler, TIF Committee Vice Chair
Project Manager, City of Salem Urban Development Department
Justin Douglas, TIF Committee Past Chair
Manager, Governance Learning & Outcomes, Prosper Portland
Thanks to Special Districts Association of Oregon for providing valuable insights in an updated memo to TIF practitioners.
Thanks those TIF Committee Members who gave their time to advise and consult on this manual update: Sara Long (City of Salem), Kristin Retherford (City of Salem), Matt Craigie (ECONorthest), Wendy Johnson (League of Oregon Cities), Elaine Howard (Elaine Howard Consulting), Rebecca Ziegler (City of Salem), Justin Douglas (Prosper Portland), Kate Porsche (Corvallis Benton County) and Charles Denight (Pendleton).
Thanks to City of Newport and Prosper Portland for sharing Sample Documents with the committee for inclusion in the manual.
Thanks to all communities that provided Case Studies for inclusion in the manual: City of Tillamook, City of Tigard, City of Talent, City of Salem, City of Redmond, City of Pendleton, City of Monmouth, Lincoln City, City of Hillsboro, City of Hermiston, City of Forest Grove, City of Eugene, City of Estacada and City of Albany.
Thanks to those communities that welcome TIF Committee members for urban renewal area tours that informed the manual: Tigard, Lebanon, Independence, Eugene, Prosper Portland, Springfield, Albany and Estacada.