About MEDP – The McMinnville Economic Development Partnership (MEDP) is seeking a qualified Executive Director who can lead, nurture, and grow this organization. MEDP is a McMinnville community driven, non-profit partnership, committed to responsible growth of local traded-sector companies and newcomer businesses for the betterment of the McMinnville community as a whole.
MEDP was created to increase business opportunities and improve lifestyle for the entire community of McMinnville. MEDP partners within community leadership groups and the State of Oregon to understand, collaborate, and ultimately increase the overall economy and quality of life.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for MEDP’s programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. They will initially develop deep knowledge of the economic development field, core programs, operations, and business plans.
If you are or prefer:
- Skilled in operating the day to day nuts and bolts of an organization
- Able to communicate effectively with representatives from Oregon’s Governor’s Office, political leaders, and CEOs illuminating the shared opportunities and articulating McMinnville’s vision
- Focused on expanding partnerships, and gaining buy-in of community partners
- Co-ordinating and organizing events
- Delivering reports and administering board activities
- Managing the details of an organization’s financials
- Coordinating and supporting MEDP’s partners
- Growing MEDP to remain a leader in economic development within McMinnville
MEDP may be for you.
The Executive Director will help develop strategic plans for sustainable growth and development. The ideal candidate should reside in the local area and thrive in a small community of 35K residents, “where people make time for each other.”
This position demands the ability to relate remarkably well with people, influence stakeholders with a positive and inspiring ‘can-do’ attitude, and to articulate future visions and new perspectives while gaining buy-in from all community leaders. Someone of good character with tenacity. Resourceful with excellent emotional intelligence. Unbiased in political landscapes.
The ideal candidate should have familiarity with Oregon; be driven with a sense of urgency and lead with exemplary listening skills while being solution oriented. Calm under fire, no rush to judgement, a humble servant leader with a reflective ‘get-it-done’ attitude. Interested and experienced in public policy, public speaking, marketing, and be a competent fiscal manager. Political sensitivity, collaborative approach, ‘coachability,’ flexibility, and a self-less demeanor for the good of the community approach is essential. Experience in Economic Development welcome but not required.
In the Executive Director (ED) position, you will be responsible for:
Leadership and Management
- Work with Board President and Board to develop and monitor Board meeting agendas and actions relevant to organizational priorities
- Drive MEDP brand and understanding, market MEDP to the community
- Attend and participate in Board of Directors meetings, learn and respect history
- Maintain, influence and engage with, while continually improving relationships with constituent groups
- Ensure excellent delivery of programs, program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals
- Lead a staff of 2 (communication and program managers) and manage MEDP logistics
- Actively engage and inspire MEDP partners, board members, partnering organizations, and investors
- Develop, maintain and support a strong Board of Directors; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction
- Oversee and direct day to day office functioning, update Best Practices Manual/planning
Finances, Fundraising & Communications
- Develop a budget proposal in collaboration with the Board of Directors for review and approval
- Oversee and direct financial procedures and practices for the organization in accordance with accepted accounting practices and MEDP policies. Lead in delivering on commitments made to investors; support existing program operations
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications – from web presence and relationships to garnering new opportunities
- Focus on organizational sustainability and growth strategies; update and implement strategic plans
- Build partnerships, establish and expand positive relationships with investors and political and community leaders
- Be an external presence that communicates program results with an emphasis on the successes of MEDP programs
- The ED will be thoroughly committed to MEDP’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience and be of good character
- 2+ years’ experience in economic development, public relations, community development, or business management
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Business, Community Development, Public Relations, Public Administration, or a closely related discipline
- Must have a valid Oregon drivers’ license and driving record which meets MEDP auto insurance minimum acceptable standards
Characteristics of ideal candidates include:
- Ability to facilitate discussions on topics to arrive at consensus
- Excellent interpersonal communications (verbal & written) and people skills
- Proven management, planning, and organizational skills
- Creative, self-motivated with a customer-service mentality
- A community advocate
- Technically savvy to ensure organization’s operations utilize modern technology
- Budget-minded and cost-conscious
Skill sets and Competencies:
- Knowledge of local, county, and state government
- Ability to write and manage grant applications
- Ability to manage and direct financial budgets and goals
- Ability to articulate and model principles and values of MEDP
- Ability to travel, including some weekends
- Knowledge of personal computer operations necessary for the successful performance of job duties and responsibilities.
To apply, please visit https://www.acumenexecutivesearch.com/job-posts/
Key Words: Executive Director, ED, Community advocate, Business development, Economic Development, Economic Development Executive Director, Budget, Management, Leadership, Program Management, Programs, PM, Project Management, Board Members, Community, McMinnville, Oregon, Strategic Direction, Strategy, goals setting, coaching, relationship management
Acumen Executive Search is a boutique recruiting firm specializing in finding the right person for our client companies. Our clients enjoy increased retention and productivity with lowered expenses due to the quality of candidates and services we provide.
Acumen has partnered with the McMinnville Economic Development Partnership (MEDP) for the placement of their Executive Director (ED).