The Business Development Coordinator serves as a key team member who assists with recruitment efforts including research, creating and gathering relevant materials to communicate to prospects; travel; and managing, updating and revising tools within databases. The position supports Greater Portland Inc’s (GPI) work with regional partners on projects and initiatives as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Business Recruitment and Research
- Researches inbound and targeted prospects. Compiles and prepares all necessary information to build the business case for clients
- Creates proposals in response to company inquiries
- Helps manage the recruitment pipeline of ongoing projects with the VP of Business Development
- Researches and maintains databases
- Presents to prospects, GPI investors, and key partners as needed
- Supports business development efforts to build relationships with site-selection consultants, corporate real estate executives and company decision makers; similarly establishes connections to local commercial real estate community
- Travels on sales missions to key domestic and international markets and assists in agenda and meeting setting for VP and partner travel
- Assists with direct company outreach utilizing familiarity with key industry clusters
Community Partner Engagement
- Works with community and state partners to support business retention and expansion activities and performs key community assistance as needed
- Works with community and state partners on business recruitment activities
- Provides consultation to communities seeking alignment of local and regional economic development strategies
- Manage monthly stakeholder meetings including the Greater Portland Economic Development Professionals (EDP) luncheons
Business Case Development and Industry Expertise
- Works with the VP of Business Development and Marketing &Communications Specialist to develop industry profiles that focus on region’s value proposition relevant to company expansion and growth
- Familiarizes self with target industries and stays current with industry news, trends and state/local policies impacting or encouraging growth of industries in the region
- Engages in economic and industry research
- Stays up to date with relevant data sources and obtains accurate and current statistics
- Perform analysis for competitiveness indicators
Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 2+ years or more of professional, hands-on experience in economic development, community development, commercial real estate, site selection, marketing sales/recruitment and/or other relevant disciplines. Experience in a regional economic development model, and international marketing and business a plus.
- Work collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation and as a relationship builder.
- Manage multiple and competing priorities quickly and efficiently.
- Project and time management, working within external/internal cross-functional teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated track record of results, proactive self-starting and creative problem solving.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university. Two years or more of professional experience in economic development, community development, commercial real estate, site selection, marketing/sales recruitment and/or other relevant disciplines preferred. Experience and relationships in the Greater Portland region ideal but not required.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business publications, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public. Has excellent verbal, written and visual communication.
Job requires specialized computer skills. Must be adept at using various applications including most of the products in the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and Adobe. Must be able to communicate by e-mail and use scheduling software.
Strong ability to interpret and analyze data, translating it into business strategy and economic development messaging. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Valid driver’s license is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions when travelling to meetings outside the GPI office. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
About Greater Portland Inc (GPI)
GPI provides support and services to companies seeking to relocate or expand in Greater Portland, a region that spans two states and seven counties. A true public-private partnership model, GPI is supported by more than 150 private- and public-sector partners committed to advancing regional economic development through job growth and investment.
Greater Portland Inc is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To be considered, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Open until position is filled.